The study of languages offers students the opportunity to adapt and experience different perspectives in an ever-changing landscape. Studies have highlighted that knowledge of different languages improves creativity and innovation, while enhancing students’ career opportunities in a global environment.
Our teaching of French, Spanish and German aims to be exciting and challenging and to inspire an interest in other cultures. Students gain understanding of the similarities between people of different nationalities and at the same time learn tolerance, respect and celebration of their differences.
Learning to speak someone else’s language is the key to understanding how they think, feel and express themselves. There is no greater pleasure than seeing someone smile because you speak their language. A high-quality education in learning a foreign language means perfecting the skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing, all of which are supported by the thorough and systematic understanding and application of grammar.
- Year 7 and 8 – all students choose 2 of the following languages: French, German and Spanish. Students have an enrichment course in Mandarin Chinese and begin learning Latin.
- Years 9, 10 and 11 – all students choose to continue with French, Spanish, German or Latin and begin their GCSE courses. It is possible for students to take a second language as their chosen enrichment subject. Students in Year 9 are offered a blended curriculum which allows them to concentrate on their chosen language(s) while at the same time offering them the opportunity to change language if they so wish.
- Years 10 and 11 – students consolidate, develop and extend their skills leading up to the GCSE examinations.
- Years 12 and 13 – students may opt to study for A Level in French, German or Latin.
- Students in Years 11, 12 and 13 have regular contact with the French and German Language Assistants.
There are many opportunities for students to develop their love of languages outside the classroom. These include the many Language clubs, ran by either our Language Assistants or by our students. Clubs that have run in past include: French club, German club, Chinese club, Korean club, Spanish club, Italian club and Tamil club. There are many events run by the Languages Department throughout the year such as Languages Week, languages assemblies and the highlight of the year, the annual “Evening of Languages” featuring “Languages Have Got Talent”. Students from all Year Groups take part, showcasing the languages they speak at school and at home.
Department has a series of well-equipped, dedicated classrooms with appropriate resources. Students also have one lesson a fortnight in the languages laboratory. Here they can make the most of opportunities for learning online and use a wide range of stimulating resources to enhance their experience.
Modern Foreign Languages open a new world of possibilities in areas relating to using languages such as interpreting, translating and teaching. Languages can also be combined with a vast number of courses such as law, business, and economics.