Young Enterprise is the UK’s leading business and enterprise education charity. For the past 40 years it has offered a range of programmes, based on the principle of Learning by Doing, which brings volunteers from business into the classroom to work with teachers and students.
Company Programme – One Year
At CCHSG, we run the Company Programme which is open to all Year 12 students. This focuses on allowing students to come together as a team, set up and run a business and design their own unique product or service. Students make all the decisions about their company, from deciding on the company name and product to creating a business plan, managing the company finances, selling to the public to ultimately winding up the company and paying their taxes. The team typically consists of 12-18 students, a link teacher and a volunteer business advisor who brings business knowledge and expertise.
The Young Enterprise programme helps to increase both employability skills and academic attainment. Students develop key skills they need not only for the world of work but also for day to day life including:
- An understanding of how business works, different roles and career opportunities that exist
- The ability to work in a team
- Improved communication skills and self-awareness
- Increased enthusiasm and self-confidence
- Willingness to take responsibility and show initiative
- Time management
- Knowledge to explain how they have personally demonstrated specific employability skills using real experiences for inclusion in CVs and personal statements or when preparing for interview
Students compete with other schools and colleges across Essex and the UK for the chance to become Young Enterprise Company of the Year.